Friday, August 18, 2006

The Origin of Ping33

Wow, I've got a blog!
I'm about 3 years late on that one, if I were cool I would probably be doing this all on Myspace. I guess the main point of this thing is to give myself an outlet so that I can stop hijacking message boards and other Blogs' comment pages and give all you people on the infoweb a handy-dandy central repository for my frenzied ranting.
I'll be surprised if anyone really reads this so I thought the best way to embark on this voyage of self-indulgence would be to start with myself and answer the question: Who or What is Ping33?

Ping33 is an alter-ego which only exists in the Idos, Comic Book fans may recognise my avatar as being Gideon Stargrave from Grant Morrison's Invisibles. To refresh your memory Gideon Stargrave is a fictional character invented by King Mob, the leader (and series protagonist) of the titular secret underground rebellion. His cover is that of a mystery writer who writes the Stargrave books. When he is captured by interdimensional invaders and interrogated for information regarding his Invisibles Cell he can only reveal information from Stargrave's life because he has trained himself to believe his own fiction to the point where it becomes reality.

The name "ping33" itself is a combination of two things:
The Stereolab song Peng!33 which is a riff on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's 100 Years of Solitude, specifically how through dreams alone we can make our reality a more magical place.
and the computer command Ping which sends out small packets of information to another machine and demands reciprocal info from the other side.

Taken as a whole: Ping33 becomes the magical point at which idea becomes reality through force of idea alone and is brodcast out for the world to hear and respond to. The Idea is as real as anything else once it's out there, just as Ping33 is as real as if he were a real boy.
I hope I can keep this blog up, I am determined to make a go of it. I also hope that at some point I find some readers, but that is secondary. I see this Blog being about what I am about, a mish-mash of culture both high and low as well as politics, current events, and even sports.
I encourage comments (from all 0 of you) and I pledge that I will be open to reasonable criticism and always will be willing to take a new look at things if my perspective is lacking or flawed.

3 comments:

Braden said...

I didn't know that about Marquez. Am I the first comment? :)

Ping33 said...

Yup, Thanks man. You have a hidden profile, do you have a Blogger page too or is it just your Google?

Fresh said...

Nerd.